Middle Tennessee Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middle Tennessee Aquarium Club

This forum is for the Middle Tennessee Aquarium Club

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ideas or tips

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nandomendoza

nandomendoza

Ideas or tips Empty
PostSubject: Ideas or tips   Ideas or tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Setting up a new tank and would like to use natural rock, and wood. Any ideas, or tips on finding these in nature?
Back to top Go down
TheGirlyPitbull

Ideas or tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas or tips   Ideas or tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:30 pm

I went hiking in pikeville and came back with a TON of shale rock. Its awesome because I can break off what I need and to fit it how I need.

I recommend with this as well as any type of shell or rock to thoroughly clean and bleach in your tub for an hour or two, then rinse in scolding hot water, repeat process, then rinse in cold cold water, let dry. Then heat in your over at 350 degrees for 30min to an hour, rinse in cold water again. Then put in your aquarium.

Be careful about what types of rocks and things you use because some (like shells and drift wood) will adjust your PH a bit.

I also have a bunch of multicolor flat river stones I picked up from hiking/swimming at the blue hole on Montlake in Soddy Daisy. There are a lot of awesome rocks there especially nearby the waters edge. The water is so clear in most areas as well so you can look and take your pick before swimming down to grab it.

I often take my dogs with their backpacks and put a few really nice ones in each ones pack. They love to swim and work, so they always have a blast.
Back to top Go down
greydragon

Ideas or tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas or tips   Ideas or tips Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 9:10 pm

i will have to go check the blue hole for rocks for my tanks as well thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ideas or tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas or tips   Ideas or tips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas or tips
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Middle Tennessee Aquarium Club :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Aquariums-
Jump to: